I'd like to share with you some tips to help you stay disciplined and not be hard on yourself after the holiday season:
- Start your day off right. Focus on a protein-based breakfast to reduce sugar cravings throughout the day.
- Be aware of portion sizes and snacks. Start off with small portions and pace yourself while eating. If you are still hungry 20 minutes after you are done, then go for more. When reaching for a snack, be mindful of what it is and if it will sustain you. It's okay to have a snack a few hours prior to a meal, but avoid grazing right before a meal to eliminate overindulging.
- Enjoy your family and friends. At the table, take a moment to be grateful for the people around you that love and care for you. Enjoy conversation and be in the moment.
- Check in with yourself. Tune in with your body and listen to what it feels/needs.
- Before reaching for a snack or a second portion, ask yourself: Am I really hungry? Am I just eating due to emotional stress or anxiety? Am I thirsty?
- Keep moving. Exercise will help your mood and keep your mind active. If you don't have time for a full workout, take a 10-20 minute walk after meals.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration can cause a sensation of hunger and lead to overeating. Drinking water will keep you energized and satisfied throughout the day. Avoid sweetened and/or caffeinated beverages.
- Be conscious of your breathe. Breathing is the best way to relax if in a stressful situation and helps you release anxiety and stay centered. Do it alone in a quiet room or step outside to get some fresh air.
Happy Holidays! x